Sunday, April 19, 2009

Scattered Sunday

Today is turning into a typical Sunday with me starting a number of tasks and abandoning them to do something that is most definitely not a top priority. For now I am messing with this blog instead of working on thank you notes to my students. The Friday before our Spring Break my students and teammates threw me a surprise shower at 8:15 in the morning (our kids don't have to arrive until 9), and TONS of kids actually showed up. We can't get them there for tutoring to save our lives, but they'll show up for a breakfast of chips and cupcakes...go figure. I had NO idea this gathering was in the works even though I am usually pretty good at ruining my surprises. I was very touched by the whole ordeal and by the effort that they all put into decorating my room and showering me and the babe with gifts (even though some of them were "gently used" items stolen from younger siblings). Some of the gifts were more memorable than others--a pink "beautiful baby" hooded towel (yes, I told them I am having a boy), a homemade quilt, a human bean plant that will supposedly say "It's a boy!" on the leaves when it sprouts (?!?!), a glass figurine of a red-headed boy riding a rocking horse (a mini Mitchell/Kyle figurine is what Todd and I called it--creepy), and then the beanie baby with some other child's spit up on it. No matter how aggravated I may get some days, I can't deny that 7th graders still have big hearts.

The cards I received were just as hilarious and heartfelt. Of course I couldn't help but focus on the grammatical errors in each one as I read through them. I promise I have taught them something this year!!! One of my favorite cards read (exactly as it is typed),

Dear Mrs. Stichtenoth,

I hope you and your boy have tons of fun together. Maby he'll tern out Perfect or be a syco like must of your students. Including me. Congradulation and good luck.

Cincerely,
(A kid I lovingly refer to as "Dufus")

Gotta love them...

3 comments:

  1. Hey, at least "Dufus" spelled your name right! I love the new blog, Casey! Thanks for sharing!:)
    -Janna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious in and of itself, but it is even more hilarious when you know which kid you are talking about without mentioning them...the joys of teaching...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely pray Drew is not syco. :-)

    Love the new look. Girl you got this blog thing DOWN. Love you!

    ReplyDelete