Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Highs and Lows

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I hope I don't come across as someone who is fishing for compliments, but after taking in some of the random comments that I've heard lately (many from strangers) your remarks serve as somewhat of a rejuvenation. Let's take today for instance. I only slept about 3 hours last night. I can't really complain because I have nothing specific to wake up for other than breakfast/lunch dates, shopping trips, and laundry. Needless to say, Todd has no sympathy. Today I was determined NOT to fall asleep again until bedtime once I woke up for my breakfast date. I had plenty of Drew's gift cards to spend, so I figured I'd visit the Georgia Square Mall. For those of you from Statesboro, the Georgia Square Mall is maybe one step up from the SMall. I despise it, but I'll go wherever the gift cards lead me.

I was dumb and tried on a few shirts in Gap just for kicks. I thought maybe I would be able to envision myself wearing them once he is out, but it didn't really work. I moved on to Baby Gap and had much more fun there. I was browsing through the sale items when I heard, "Well, look at you!" I thought perhaps I was going to turn around and see someone I knew. Not so much. This random middle aged woman proceeded to comment on the cute clothes I had picked out, asked me what I was having (yep, after looking at the clothes...should have known she was going to be a winner), and continued to scan me from head to toe. Then she asked, "So, are you overdue?" I smiled and politely answered, "No, but hopefully he'll be here any day." Her final remark: "Well, bless your heart. That first one will really do you in." Gotta love those "bless your heart" comments...

Today's high: learning that tomorrow our new fence will be installed! (Being a homeowner turns you into a really lame adult really quickly.) Originally this was not going to happen until the week of Drew's due date--stellar timing--so I was really pumped when I received a phone call asking if they could start tomorrow. Our backyard is a glorified dirt pit/jungle, and the chain link fence that the previous owners installed themselves really adds to the overall look. The fence looked bad when we bought the house, and Amos and Alice decided to make it look even classier when they started finding places to sneak/dig out. We of course filled these holes with random rocks and wood scraps left behind from the previous owners' projects. REALLY classy. The snow storm enhanced the white trash look of our backyard when several large branches and entire trees bent or took out whole segments of the fence. These days the dogs can't even be in the backyard without supervision because they will escape and sprint through the neighborhood with Todd (somewhat) close behind. It is a nightmare.

So...if I post pictures of this fence in the near future and act ridiculously excited about the improved look of our ugly yard (it may be hard to believe without some before pictures), you are welcome to say, "Well, bless their hearts." Doesn't take much to make us happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment